Thursday, July 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Cup S'mores Bars

Okay, this is officially my new favorite dessert!!! I was introduced to it at girls camp and had to ask the camp cook for the recipe - she told me where to find it online.  The first thing I did when I got home from camp (before unpacking and showering) was find the recipe so I could make it!!! I know that I'm pathetic but it is that good!!!
 Here are two versions - the second is the one the camp cook made - I've made both and am undecided which is better.  The first is messier than the second but both are oh so good!!! Just typing this post is making me need them right now!!!!

IMG_1702.JPG.jpg

IMG_1699.JPG.jpg


















Peanut Butter S'mores Bars
5.0 from 6 reviews

Author: Pinch of Yum
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 graham crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
  • 2 Giant Hershey's milk chocolate bars, 7 ounces each
  • 1 jar marshmallow cream, 7 ounces
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter  * when I made this one I left out the peanut butter because I was taking it to a BBQ and didn't know if anyone had allergies - so it was just S'mores Bars and they were a big hit!!!
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs.
  3. Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the baking dish. Press the chocolate bars on top of the dough. They should make an even layer in an 8x8 pan. Melt the peanut butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave and drizzle it over the chocolate bars.
  4. Spread the marshmallow cream over the chocolate and peanut butter.
  5. Roll the remaining 1/3 dough onto the chocolate foil wrappers (or some other nonstick surface). When you've made an even square, gently peel it off and press it on top of the marshmallow cream.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool for best serving results (see notes).
Notes
For best cutting and serving results, i.e. the least amount of gooey mess, let cool 12 hours (I let mine cool overnight). Remove parchment paper and slice with a knife, wiping it down between each slice to remove the lovely mallow fluff. I baked for 30 minutes and the edges got a teeny bit dry. The non-edge pieces were perfect, though. If your oven runs hot (like mine) I'd go for closer to 25 minutes bake time. I used crunchy peanut butter!
Recipe by Pinch of Yum at http://pinchofyum.com/peanut-butter-smores-bars


Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Bars (the sweet life (adapted from Pinch of Yum and Sprinkle Some Sunshine))
yield: 16 large/20 small squares
Ingredients
   1/2 cup butter, softened
   1/2 cup packed brown sugar
   1/4 cup sugar
   1 egg
   1 teaspoon vanilla
   1 1/4 cups flour
   1 teaspoon baking powder
   1/4 teaspoon salt
   1 cup graham cracker crumbs
   16 peanut butter cups, regular size
   1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff* * When I made this one I didn't have any marshmallow fluff so I just used mini marshmallows and put a thick layer on top of the peanut butter cups. It was way less messy when I cut into it but still tasted great!!!
*Fluff is pretty impossible to measure, so this doesn’t have to be an exact amount, just kind of eyeball it. As long as you have enough to cover the PB cups, you’re good to go.
Directions
1.            Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8×8 baking dishing with parchment paper; coat lightly with cooking spray.
2.            In a large bowl of the bowl of stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Scrape down the sides.  With the mixer on low, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, and graham cracker crumbs until mixed.
3.            Spread 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.  Lightly press the peanut butter cups into the dough, then spread marshmallow fluff on top.  Press the remaining dough on a non-stick surface into the shape of an 8×8 square.  Place the square on top of the fluff and press down lightly.
4.            Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown.  Allow to cool for at least two hours* to give the bars a chance to set, then remove from the pan and cut into squares with a large, sharp knife.
*Originally I said the bars needed to cool for 8 hours, but after making them again I’ve realized they’re ready to go after only about 2. I also bet they are DAAANG good straight from the oven

1 comment:

  1. i saw this on pinterist and have been wanting to make them ever since!

    ReplyDelete